AMD CodeXL version 1.1 released to developer.amd.com
Welcome to my first blog as the new product manager for AMD compute solutions including AMD CodeXL. I’m writing to introduce our latest release version 1.1. But just as important, I want to use this opportunity to ask for your feedback. I’m keen to hear about your experiences first-hand. Our team of engineers spends a good part of their lives building these tools and they very much want to hit the mark. Please take a few moments on our forum to help us make these tools as useful as we can. We haven’t succeeded until we’ve built a great tool that makes your lives easier! Thanks in advance. Now for the details.
For a quick recap, AMD CodeXL is a unified developer tool suite that enables you to quickly and easily identify performance issues and programming errors in applications, without requiring source code modifications. It enables you to debug, profile, and analyze applications to help you achieve outstanding performance on AMD APUs, GPUs and CPUs. The tool suite includes:
- GPU Debugger –a comprehensive debugging tool for applications that make use of OpenCL™/OpenGL API calls and OpenCL™ kernels.
- CPU Profiler – a profiling suite that helps you to identify, investigate and tune application performance on AMD CPUs.
- GPU Profiler - a complete GPU profiler that you can use to discover bottlenecks in your OpenCL and DirectCompute applications, and find ways to improve performance on AMD APUs/GPUs.
- Static Analyzer – a handy utility to analyze your OpenCL kernels statically and estimate their performance without having to run on the actual hardware.
AMD CodeXL Version 1.1 brings a number of new features to expand platform support and to provide developer experience improvements. The major new features of AMD CodeXL 1.1 include:
Additional Platform Support: (see release notes for details) (add link to release notes…)
- Support for Windows 8 (32 and 64 bit flavors) and Windows Vista
- Visual Studio 2012 integration
- Linux Support
- Support for Kabini APU
Developer experience enhancements:
- Mode Specific layouts display a sub-set of AMD CodeXL views and toolbars that match the current mode – Debug or Profile
- Profile Session Explorer Tree and Debug Explorer Tree views are merged into a single view named AMD CodeXL Explorer
- Improved overall stability
AMD CodeXL Kernel Debugging on Windows 8
AMD CodeXL GPU Profiling Application Trace on Kubuntu
On the landing page you will find the quick start guide, release notes and other useful info on AMD CodeXL. Additionally, the AMD CodeXL forum is a place to exchange ideas, seek support and get updated on AMD CodeXL.
Please visit us at AMD developer central where you will find resources including community forums to help you create your Heterogeneous Computing solutions. We love hearing from you to help us keep improving! Thank you,
Marty Johnson is a Director of Product Management at AMD. His postings are his own opinions and may not represent AMD’s positions, strategies or opinions. Links to third party sites, and references to third party trademarks, are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied.